- A Lyndon Academy Parent"I would recommend Lyndon Academy to all who are truly looking for a "GREAT SCHOOL!!!"
- A Lyndon Academy Parent"Lyndon Academy is a wonderful school focused entirely on educating and enriching children."
- A Lyndon Academy Parent"The children are learning at their highest capacity in an atmosphere that is positive, nurturing and fun."
Athletics are an important part of a student’s life. They teach students invaluable lessons related to individual disciplines, sportsmanship, and team building skills while teaching skills and rules that are necessary and apply to daily life. They also provide guidelines for fitness, exercise and health. At Lyndon Academy, students are given the opportunity to participate in sports that are not limited to golf, tennis, soccer, tae kwon do, and cheerleading.
In the lower school, athletics are largely intramural-based activities. Beginning at the middle school level, students compete in the North Atlanta Metro League, also known as NAML. NAML was established in 2001 as a conference for private schools and currently has 32 teams. In the 2013-2014 school year, middle school students are not limited to participating in cross country, volleyball, basketball, golf, and tennis at Lyndon Academy.
- Promote healthy competition among student-athletes
- Encourage a sense of pride in one’s self, one’s team and one’s school
- Build resilience, courage, dedication and patience
- Develop respect for teammates, opponents, and adults
- Provide guidelines for fitness, health and exercise
- Support the development of the whole child: mind, body and spirit
The emphasis will be on enhancing self-esteem and developing social and physical skills within reasonably competitive environments. Students will have opportunities to participate and receive the benefits of sports programs that reflect their developmental needs and interests.
The Value of Athletic Programming
- 95% of Fortune 500 executives participated in high school athletics and 47% of Fortune 500 executives were National Honor Society members (Fortune Magazine)
- Nearly seven out of ten Americans say that sports teach students lessons about life that they can’t learn in the classroom. Nine out of ten believe sports contribute to the health and fitness of participants (USA Today)
- Successful extracurricular participation is a school’s best predictor of adult success (“Fulfilling Lives Paths to Maturity and Success” by Douglas Heath)
- Another educational aspect, as important as physical and mental well-being, is related to the inherent values that sports transmit: respect for rules, and rejection of cheating. (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization)
The Lyndon Academy Athletic Program runs on a trimester schedule. While they are official school-sponsored activities with professional instructors on and off school grounds, they are not included in normal school tuition fees. Fees may apply depending on the sport.